Thursday, June 29, 2017

Bookplate Odds and Ends 6/29/2017

Links worth Perusing

The American Antiquarian Society has an Instagram site .
Lots of interesting bookplates I've never seen before.
You can view it on your computer.

 https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/aasbookplates/

The Luna Image Collection from Washington University in St. Louis should be bookmarked. It is an excellent digital bookplate resource.
http://luna.wustl.edu:8180/luna/servlet/view/all/who/os/950/what/Bookplates/when/n.d.?sort=Title%252CCreator_Name%252CObject_Typ

Three Mystery Bookplates
Send your Mystery Bookplate scans and answers to inquiries to
Bookplatemaven@hotmail.com



Hi Lew -

Thanks for getting back to me and offering to help me sort this out -- I would be most grateful if you were to post something on your blog or otherwise point me in the right direction. (However limited your knowledge of Russian bookplates may be, I can assure you that mine is far more limited!)
This is what I have figured out so far...

The translation says:

"From the books of Б. М. Тенин." 

The foreground graphic is obviously Shakespeare's portrait with  a quote from Hamlet, Act 1 scene 5, lines 190-1: 
"The time is out of joint. O cursèd spite / That ever I was born to set it right!"

From what I have gleaned, Boris Mihaylovich Tenin (Б. М. Тенин) was a famous Soviet actor born in 1905. In addition to his work on stage, film, and television, he was quite a bibliophile and collected bookplates. I found -- and have attached -- a picture of Tenin in his library, with what appear to be some bookplate designs, one of which also seems to have Shakespeare's portrait. I can't read Russian, so I have no idea what the text says. I've asked my daughter, who is more adept with computers and research, to try to figure it out.

As for this particular bookplate, I have no idea who the artist that designed (and signed) it is, nor where this particular bookplate came from. It was given to my daughter as a gift over a decade ago. Any help or advice you can give would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Susan


Hi Lew,
          Any idea who this artist may be? LBM are the initials but I have no idea.

                         Best,

                             Tom

I suspect this was an honorarium plate for Fidel Castro. It may be a Russian Plate.  Your input would be appreciated. Thanks,
Lew



Recent Additions To My Collection

Send scans of  recent additions to your collection to
Bookplatemaven@hotmail.com

In 1945 Ernest Morgan , the president of Antioch Bookplate Co. sent this letter to
Louis Henry Cohn , the owner of House of Books Ltd. in New York City.

Here is one of the Lynd Ward Proofs

By way of comparison shown below is one of the printed bookplates.




Here is another proof

Lewis Henry Cohn's bookplate was designed by his friend Ernest Hemingway

"Ernest Hemingway,
autograph inscription and bookplate [n.d.]
Original autograph text by Ernest Hemingway used for design of a Cohn bookplate, includes autograph notes on scale and line cut for the printed bookplate. The Hemingway autograph was written on the verso of Hotel Brevoort (New York) stationery."

http://www.lib.udel.edu/ud/spec/exhibits/hemngway/cohn.htm

Email Received 8/31/2017

Hi Lew,

I was at your Blog looking around (talk about time bandits! :-))  and saw your entry for the Capt. Cohn Hemingway bookplate.  Bob suggested I send you this scan of our copy of Cohn's Hemingway bibliography inscribed by Margie Cohn and with the bookplate.

A little back story...Bob bought his first "collectible" book from Margie in 1959.  He purchased a Fitzgerald and, unknown to Margie, was only 14 years old at the time.  He mowed lawns and sent her money orders until it was paid off.  They became friends over the years and in addition we became close friends with the Faulkner collector, Carl Petersen.  Margie and Carl were very close and he thought of her as a second mother.  The four of us would go to dinner when in New York and when she was in Chicago visiting Carl.  This is getting wordy but I wanted to explain the import of the date of the inscription.  Bob and I were married May 4, 1974, we stayed that night in Chicago and went to New York the next day. May 6 we spent in New York with Margie. We went to dinner and then to her apartment where she showed us marvelous Hemingway books (what has always stuck in my mind was the large T. S. Eliot self-portrait framed above her sofa).  That evening she gave us this book with bookplate and inscribed it to us.  That is why she is wishing us "much happiness."

Sometimes a bookplate is more than a bookplate.

Best regards,

Christine

-- The Colophon Book Shop, ABAA, ILAB
Robert & Christine Liska
P O Box 1052
Exeter, NH  03833
Street: 101B Water St
Exeter, NH 03833
(603) 772-8443
http://www.colophonbooks.com 
established 1971 
========================================================================
I got the Lockett plate on Ebay. It just strikes my fancy.




No comments: